I can’t actually believe that Christmas is just around the corner. Where has the year gone?! It feels like yesterday that J and I were taking down our Christmas tree, hoovering up needles and munching the chocolates and candy canes left over that hadn’t already been snaffled. And now it’s time to put it all up again?! With such a busy year it’s no surprise that it’s absolutely flown by, and as Christmas approaches I love sitting and reading about what everyone likes to get up to and what their traditions are over the holiday season. I especially love the idea of creating new ones during our first Christmas as a married couple, and have found some really fun things to try. J and I have a few already, so I wanted to share those plus some more suggestions that I’d love to add to our list.
- Already a tradition and has been since we got together seven years ago: open one stocking filler gift on Christmas Eve before bed. We normally go out with friends then come home, have a spiced hot chocolate and open a present together.
- Festive film marathon. Pick your favourite films (1-3 each depending on how long you plan to sit under blankets with snacks) and spend a day or an evening just chilling in front of your favourite Christmas movies. Mine would be The Grinch, The Muppet Christmas Carol, and Home Alone.
- 12 Days of Xmas. Make a list of things you want to do during December (these can be fun and productive, look at the adult in me speaking up!) and work through them together.
- Again something we’ve done for years: hand-deliver Christmas cards. A few days before Christmas we spend an evening driving around town, looking at the festive lights and putting cards through the doors of our friends and family. It saves on postage and gives us a chance to check out everyone’s decorations and generally get into the holiday spirit.
- Give to those less fortunate. I donate quite a bit of money every year to various charities. So far in December, Random Acts and Shelter have been on my list and a food donation, plus I love the idea of doing a reverse advent – giving something every day.
- Matching outfits. I’m so tempted to buy J and I matching Christmas pyjamas this year, and I was going to get the dog a jumper to match J’s too, but now that he’s injured and has an ex-fix on his leg (the dog, not the husband) it probably isn’t wise. But we can still do the cheesy matchy-matchy smug newlyweds thing…
- Family Christmas jumper contest. For Christmas Day: everyone has to wear a festive sweater and the person with the best/worst/most eye-wateringly hideous wins an extra gift from Santa.
What traditions do you have as a couple or as a family? What have you added over the years?