Essential Sunday Tasks to Kickstart Your Week

Spread the love

Sundays are the best day of the week, right? Normally spent relaxing, doing the odd chore or two, catching up on Netflix, maybe brunch with friends, and reading by the fire with the pets (that’s how I spend most Sundays, anyway). But what about planning for the week ahead, and ensuring it’s as productive and focused as possible? I’ve compiled a list of suggestions for essential tasks to do throughout the day on a Sunday which will lead you into the week feeling refreshed, motivated, and ready to tackle anything life throws at you.

Sunday Meal Planning

This works for anyone, but is especially helpful for folk with January goals, anyone focused on their physical health, and those with a difficult relationship with food. Decide what you’re going to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks and make a shopping list. Go get it if you need to fill your cupboards, or arrange a delivery (I use Ocado a lot, it’s really convenient and it has a really great selection of products). Then make sure you plan enough time to prepare your lunch, have breakfast in the mornings, and decide what’s for dinner every evening and who’s cooking.

Plan Some You-Time

We all seem to be so busy all the time, so planning an hour or two just to read or go to the gym or walk the dog is essential, as me-time can be really easy to forget. But spending tim relaxing, unwinding, and attending to your own hobbies and interests is so important to prevent stress mounting up and to stop yourself burning out.

Decide What You’re Going to Wear

This is less about vanity and more about organisation. If you wear a uniform to work then that’s easy, all you have to do is make sure you have it all clean and ready to grab in the mornings. If not, planning out what you’re going to wear to work is vital so that you aren’t scurrying about in the dark rifling through a heap of clothes on the washing pile or through drawers and wardrobes. Have it laid out and ready to put on the next morning and you’ll feel more prepared and less rushed.

Wash Your Hair

I have a little Sunday-night ritual. Bubble bath, glass of wine, read a few chapters of my book, then do a face mask and wash my hair. My favourite Lush products always make an appearance – no surprises there. I don’t properly blow-dry my hair really, I normally blast off the excess water then let it air dry (I’m v lazy when it comes to my hair), ready for the week ahead.

Make Journal/Planner/To-Do List Time

Yesterday morning when I woke up I read the last few chapters of The Couple Next Door (amazing book, please read it) then spent a while going through my planner and getting some ideas from Pinterest and Instagram. I’m not naturally arty although I’m creative with words, so my planners always look like a ten-year-old got let loose with a biro pen, but hey it’s mine and that’s what counts.

Know what you’ve got coming up this week and prepare for it. School deadline? Big meeting? College application? Either get some of it done on Sunday if you can, or plan time during the week and stick to it. Nothing makes us panic more than looming deadlines as we run out of time.

You may have noticed a few more of my own images in this post. That’s because I got a new camera just before Christmas and am slowly but surely learning my way around it. You might just see more of my face in the future, you never know!

19 Comments

1. Elizabeth
    January 14, 2018 / 11:11 am

Great ideas! I’m already doing most of them but will try deciding my outfits for the week to make my mornings even easier!

2. January 14, 2018 / 12:56 pm

These are great ideas, I normally spend my Sunday lazing about. But after reading this I think I need to make it my day to plan and set me up for the week. Thank you for the great tips 😊😊

3. January 14, 2018 / 3:15 pm

Love this! Especially planning some time for yourself — I always neglect that part once i started realizing how full my planner is and how long my to do list is. I will make it a point to plan some me time
    This week 🙂

4. January 14, 2018 / 5:09 pm

Great tips. I enjoy planning my week on a Sunday and my work detail plans sometimes on a Monday morning. What I need to get better at is weekly meal planning. That always catches me out. Also I usually do not pro actively schedule socials on a Sunday for this reason so I have a chance to slow down on a Sunday.

5. January 14, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Great tips, absolutely love it and need to start doing them and stick to it!

6. January 14, 2018 / 11:08 pm

Great start to make sure you have an awesome week. I love this post! It’s such a great reminder to make sure you plan out your week ahead of time. Thanks for sharing.

7. January 15, 2018 / 11:50 am

Love these ideas. I always feel so refreshed and ready to start the day when I wash my hair, haha.

• January 15, 2018 / 5:12 pm

I do too, it’s a real game changer 🙂

8. randomwithkristen
    January 15, 2018 / 1:33 pm

I should really have a written plan out each week. I keep a mental note but I should really write everything down.

• January 15, 2018 / 5:12 pm

I never used to write things down but it helps me SO much these days!

9. January 15, 2018 / 1:48 pm

I know the feeling of running out of time on a Sunday when deadlines are looming so this is definitely for me. Thanks so much

10. January 15, 2018 / 4:57 pm

OMG love the planner!!! I must have this..

11. January 15, 2018 / 5:06 pm

Love this. Especially because it’s all so accomplishable. Sometimes its the small things that make all the difference. Wonderful post 🙂

ps – that planner looks really cool! Do you like it?

• January 15, 2018 / 5:11 pm

It’s an awesome planner, definitely worth the money! ❤️

12. January 16, 2018 / 4:13 am

Meal prepping is always on Sunday for us! I love all the other tips too…especially gotta carve out more time for myself!

13. January 16, 2018 / 10:09 am

I’m definitely a fan of Sundays! It’s indeed very rewarding knowing that you’ve been productive and you’re ready to kickstart the week. It used to be my day of procrastinating, but turning that around changed me!